Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Quest for Authenticity

Authenticity is understanding one’s own nature and making choices consistent with that nature. You can’t be authentic unless you understand your own nature.

I found this on a website when I was looking up Socratic Dialogue, which is a fascinating method I might like to work with, but not right now. I want to focus on authenticity.

When I read this quote I thought “Yes! That’s what’s happening for me right now! A major all-consuming quest for authenticity!”

I don’t know when I started the quest, but it has definitely intensified over the last 5 months or so. I’m searching and searching and I have moments of being exhausted by the journey. Moments of wondering why I couldn’t just have been a party planner, with 2 kids and a Labrador and a husband who plays golf and pays most of the bills. A picket fence. And a mortgage. And a nice glass or three of Chardonnay at the end of the day. But that was never meant to be, for me.

I’ve spent almost a decade understanding my own nature, with the assistance of some wonderful guides. It wasn’t really a conscious choice to start this exploration, I just reached a point where my lifestyle was completely unsustainable and unless I stopped to figure myself out I was going to self-destruct pretty soon.

But I think I only started truly establishing a clearer picture of my own nature in the last year. Of course it’s a lifelong process. Having a clearer sense of who I am is allowing me to work on making choices consistent with that nature.

Sometimes I look at other people’s lives and feel so unsorted. I mean the facts are: I have no home of my own, no job, no husband, no kids. And I’m 34 years old which is practically middle-aged. Some might view this as bleak!

But today, with radical clarity I can see a new way of looking at these facts: I have had so much time, space and such incredible resources in the last decade to grow and develop into the person I want to be. I have 2 degrees and speak 4 languages. I live in a beautiful apartment overlooking the sea. I have a wonderful boyfriend I get to figure all this stuff out with. (Who thinks golf sucks and prefers to throw himself down mountains with only 2 wheels and a bit of lycra between him and serious injury.) I have mountains to run on and sea to swim in - in fact I have a really strong body that I can use for any sport I choose. I have no boss to bitch about, instead I am meeting the most interesting conscious people that I would still want to work with if I won the lottery tomorrow. I have deep and meaningful relationships with a wide variety of people that enrich my life.

This is so far from bleak!

Having no mortgage, no husband and no kids means I have absolute freedom to make choices around:

  • What type of work or career aligns with my true nature?
  • What organisation or colleagues can I work with that will allow me to be authentic?
  • How would I like to divide up my time between work and play and recreation?
  • How do I want my primary relationship to look? Short term, long term, who’s washing the dishes tonight term?
  • What sort of living space do I want to live in that feels authentic?
  • What spiritual practices feel like they reflect who I really am and will help me find what I am looking for?
  • Socially, who do I want to hang out with in order to feel I am able to be myself?
  • How do I work around family dynamics, bearing in mind that no matter how I show up today, they may still see the “me” of 10 years ago?
I’m not saying people with husbands and kids and jobs and houses have no choices. Just that they have already made some of those choices. (My dad always said the choice to have children is the only one you can’t undo.) So please be clear, I’m not knocking anyone else.

I’m just celebrating my new lens on my own life. Acceptance of where I’m at right now.

I wonder why is it so difficult for me to hold onto feeling satisfied? Why do I forget how wonderful it is to have choices?

I don’t know what I’ll be thinking tomorrow. Or tonight. But right now, I’m blessed to be where I am, in the middle of my quest for authenticity. Universe, please help me remember how this feels. Help me remember I always have a choice around how I view things.

No comments: