Friday, November 25, 2011

Day 7 Find Extraordinary in the Ordinary

I was intrigued by this photo, even more so when I read the caption: "An extraordinary display of spring frost covering everything in sight. This particular image is of a frosted fence with a backdrop of a blue metal dumpster taken from a construction site." It was taken by Sara Worsham and it's part of a National Geographic Competition. They are all very cool, take a look.

A fence in front of a dumpster, on a construction site. And she saw this. I love it.

I'm going to try and spend the weekend on the lookout for the extraordinary in the ordinary. Not only physically, as in seeing the extraordinary beauty in the frost on an ordinary fence, but also intellectually, emotionally and spiritually.

My thinking kind of follows on from my post on Internal Crossroads, because I believe that in ordinary moments, if we are able to change our habitual responses, there is an opportunity to experience something that is emotionally extraordinary. If someone crashes into your car, you can get out and start screaming they're a moron or find a tiny voice of inner calm and say "This is a very tough situation for both of us, are you OK?". (For the record, I've never actually done this!)

You can go to a likely-to-be-ordinary business meeting with a mindset "I might be meeting a soulmate today and our working relationship may change the trajectory of my entire career". Opening up to extraordinary possibilities. (This one I have done.)

An argument with someone close to you might be ordinary. Yet, if in processing that argument you have a flash of insight into your behaviour or new understanding of a dynamic that has kept you stuck for years - you can allow it to be an extraordinary opportunity for your own growth.(Yip, this I've done too.)

Physically, intellectually, emotionally and spiritually, this is my extraordinary mission for the next few days.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it! Thanks my friend!
Sarah Henson/Barnhoorn
xxx

Anonymous said...

Very touching and beautiful observations. Is this photo from a grand photographer or from a young lady who looks for the smallest of miracles even in a dumpster?